Re: [nv-l] NetView with Tivoli Firewall Security Toolbox

To: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView with Tivoli Firewall Security Toolbox
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:11:49 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
NetView will not support state correlation until 7.1.4.  It's being worked
on now.  And it will require TEC 3.9  There will be some standard pieces
included in the product to generate and correlate certain events that way.

That said, I don't understand the ^C.  Most of our problems revolve around
the fact that the standard TEC engine expects quotation marks around
certain variables and nvserverd has been enclosing most of them that way
since the TEC  forwarding was added in NetView  Version 4.1.2.    TEC
reception strips all the quotes.  But the SCE doesn't  and so much of the
correlation fails.

I think you are out of luck with this for now.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
04/17/2003 03:52 PM

<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
        cc:

My Scenario is NetView 7.1.3 on AIX.  The box also has  a Tivoli
Endpoint installed (Version 106) and the Tivoli Firewall Security
Toolbox (TFST) Event Sink (1.3).  I am also running the TEC 3.8
correlation gateway (in fact on the same box).  The TFST effectively
converts from non-TME to TME events.

My aim is to effectively create NetView events that use TME
communications (to get around firewall limitations), so we have:
  nvserverd -> TFST Event Sink -> Endpoint -> SCE TEC Gateway -> TEC

The SCE TEC gateway is dropping the events as ill-formed.  Looking at
the log in the SCE TEC gateway, the events look fine except there is a
^C at the beginning of the event at the start of the class name.  I've
tested the same event with a postemsg and it works fine.

If I use the standard TEC gateway, without the state-correlation, it
works a treat but I would like to get it into the new SCE gateway.

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565