RE: [nv-l] NV 7.1.x SNMP polling

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NV 7.1.x SNMP polling
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:08:26 -0500
Here is something you may not have thought of.

If you use SNMP for discovery, and thus discover devices with multiple
interfaces, and your network is like mine.... where folks have more freedom
than I'd like about choosing IP addresses.... You run into issues where Netmon
will poll inappropriate addresses with ICMP. Many times when folks build backup
networks or "stand-alone" networks they choose common, already-registered
addresses (in our case, we have some bone-heads who use 100.100 and 90.90 since
these are "non-routable" networks that we should "never see a packet from". Or
the SP2 complex which uses 1.1, 2.2. 3.3 and 4.4 networks (thank you IBM).
Problem is, with ICMP polling, NetView tries to ping those addresses and if
your routes are set up in any sort of normal fashion, this traffic heads right
out the internet and creates ICMP traffic on your internet connection which
*IS* a security concern. At a minimum, you create unnecessary chaff for your
firewall/intrusion detection systems. You can always unmanage the interfaces
but that is a lot of work, and well, doesn't it defeat the purpose of NetView
to disable management of an interface that doesn't responsd to pings?

Using SNMP polling means that I send the request to a multi-homed device on an
interface I can reach, and ONLY to that interface. It might be a little more
bigger traffic, but it sure is a clearer picture of the network. I recommend
SNMP polling in *ALL* cases where possible.