Re: [nv-l] servRaid traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] servRaid traps
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:57:30 -0400
You are expecting magic and there isn't any.   All you are seeing in the
trapd.log is something similar, right?  Or have you customized that
already?

NetView puts most of it's trap information is a single variable, $3, so
that's all you have to put in trapd.conf for the definition, and then when
a Node Down or an Interface down comes in, that's what you see.  But other
vendors are not so kind.  You have to decide what information you want to
see and you have to read the MIB to determine what the trap is telling
you.

Go to the MIB you used.  Find the trap statement for this trap, where it
says TRAP-TYPE, and see what variables are sent.  There is a clause for
that right there.  They will be sent in the order given   Then go find
those variables in MIB and determine what they mean.  Once you know you
can decide what the log message for the  trapd.log and the events window
should say, probably something like  "Raid array on host $1 has status $2
" or  something similar.

The same goes for your script.  Once you know what the variables mean then
you can do something more than just echo them.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Jorge A. Jiles" <Jorge.Jiles@ualberta.ca>
05/02/2003 10:39 AM