Re: [nv-l] nextHop errors

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nextHop errors
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:15:42 -0400

Netview looks at the CDP for purposes of finding connections between
unnumbered serial interfaces when you have already discovered the two
devices involved. That's one of the reasons it pulls the routerSysname
field. CDP stores sysnames. For the purpose of discovering those next hop
nodes, it is more likely to get the information it needs from the arp cache
of the router.

As you know, Netview does not use sysnames in lieu of resolved names for
labeling. The messages you are seeing are mostly informational. If you are
trying to keep your network neat, you might take action and resolve them.

Detroit

                      "Karl Prinelle"

                      <Karl.Prinelle@ely        To:
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      zium.co.uk>               cc:

                                                Subject:  [nv-l] nextHop errors

                      05/07/2003 10:24

                      AM

Hi list,
I'm having a problem with a set of cisco 7200 routers & netmon.
Using NV 7.1.3 with FP1 on NT4 sp6
In netmon.trace I keep getting the following;

Cisco router x.x.x.x interface XX, ignoring UNRESOLVED nextHop:
GLASTONBURY_

I'm getting these for each interface of each of the core routers which have
~600 interfaces each.  GLASTONBURY_ isn't in DNS, but I thought this was
some part of the Cisco CDP & Netview would still be able to resolve where
the nextHop really was.

I've seen a few older posts on the archives, but I've not seen one that
says I don't need to worry about this, or that it's some config problem
with netview/the router...

Anyone got any views??

tia

Karl

Karl Prinelle
Elyzium Ltd
Office: +44 (0)1753 515000
Mobile: +44 (0)7813 189198

E-mail: karl.prinelle@elyzium.co.uk

Website:www.elyzium.co.uk

Elyzium Disclaimer:
This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information, or

take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states

them to be the views of any organisation or employer. If you have received
this message in error, do not open any attachment but please notify the
sender
(above) deleting this message from your system. Please rely on your own
virus
check no responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage arising out
of
any bug or virus infection.