RE: [nv-l] java hogging CPU

Subject: RE: [nv-l] java hogging CPU
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:58:49 -0500
I share your concerns 100%

My hunch is that the machine (Solaris in my case) is getting hammered swapping
because the basic memory allocation for a java environment is too small for the
actual application. The web console wants about 71mb for instance, but the
basic allocation is 64 mb and there fore, no matter what, you spend your time
swapping java back in and out. Janes comment about it being pure CPU don't jive
with that, so I could be wrong.

If I had any number of web console users this would be a significant concern.
But Jane's point is right on the money, it consumes entirely too much of the
machine.

I have heard that using an alternate java deployment (such as IBMs) can help,
but I don't know whether AIX uses that nifty IBM java machine or whether it
uses a stock one.