RE: [nv-l] Netview SNMP/Discovery Issue

To: "Lemire, Mark" <mlemire@jhancock.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview SNMP/Discovery Issue
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:29:37 -0500
Cc: "Kenney, Jack" <jkenney@jhancock.com>, "Hughes, Tom P." <thughes@jhancock.com>
Make sure your solaris box has the init.snmpdx script coded with the "-f 0" parameter.

Basically, when NetView is using the communityNames.conf file, he probes snmp with "public" (actually with your "default" community name from xnmsnmpconf) and then each string on the list. The problem is that the solaris agent will literally terminate the snmp sub-agents when he receives 5 community strings that are not the word "public". This kills the sub agent including the one that  reports the interface table. This does not explain auto-deleting the object which I would assume is due to a duplicate interface address. Here is the init.snmpdx line I am referring to.

/usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx -y -c /etc/snmp/conf -f 0

I hope this helps. Just for the record, SNMP under solaris is um... a giant 2#%@#$@^@#$ pain.