[nv-l] status cascade linux

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] status cascade linux
From: "Karl Prinelle" <Karl.Prinelle@elyzium.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:31:16 +0100
Hi,

Maybe I'm loosing it/too late, but I'm seeing something simple/weird I can't explain....
Using RedHat 7.2, nv 7.1.3 fp1

I've got a node (w2k) with two interfaces (one real 192.168.1 and one a loopback adapter 10.253 with static ipaddr).
The status propagation doesn't seem right to me;

Internet (yellow)
->192.168.1 (green)
-->> Segment1 (green)
--->>> MyNode (green)
---->>>> 10.253.1.50 (red)
---->>>> 192.168.1.10 (green)
->10.253 (red)
-->> Segment1 (red)
--->>> MyNode (red)
---->>>> 10.253.1.50 (red)
---->>>> 192.168.1.10 (green)

The map is the default and is set (unchanged) to default propogation.

The status of MyNode seems wrong under both networks - shouldn't it show marginal since only one interface is down?
The status of the two networks also seems wrong - shouldn't they both be marginal too - they would be cascading the severity up?
The root Internet seems right - at least one contained object is down so it is marginal.

Anyone got any views - I've just been doing this with multiple nested submaps on AIX and I know it worked ok - I've got screenshot to prove it (that being the only way to stave off madness I reckon...).  I'm sure I didn't change any status propogation there....

Thanks in advance

Karl