[nv-l] how to block bursts of traps (in theory)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] how to block bursts of traps (in theory)
From: "Mildeberger, Thorsten" <thorsten.mildeberger@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 07:38:15 +0100
Hi all,
this is more a theoretical question, but I would like to know how to take
care of it anyway.

I know that sophisticated netview rules should be implemented to avoid burst
of traps sent to a event server or even better, not to permit components
like routers, switches and so on to forward traps to a trap receiver like
netview that much.

But what to do best in theory when netview receives a huge amount of traps
for some reason? I could imagine that such a large number of traps would
block the netview box more or less completely. The only solution to get rid
of that situation would be to stop the trapd or to reconfigure trapd?

Many thanks.

best regards,