Re: [nv-l] WEB client/console access

To: JamesHorwath@glic.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] WEB client/console access
From: bill.kellam@worldspan.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:49:47 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

You can run netviewd which will make a map available to web users without a
Netview console running. Beware of some additional caveats:
1. It will grab the read-write if available.
2. You can force read only, but then scoping and container-izing doesn't
display properly for the web user.
3. Web users aren't limited to using the map opened by netviewd. If you
have a console running, a web user can open yours. Then when you close, he
closes too.

Regards,
Bill Kellam

|         |           JamesHorwath@glic|
|         |           .com             |
|         |           06/03/2003 04:09 |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                 |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  [nv-l] WEB client/console access

I have a statement followed by a question.  I found we have users who rely
on using NetView web console for access.  I am new here and this was a
surprise to me.  I am not really familiar with the WEB console. I have 3
maps defined: MAIN, default and UNIX.  It appears a map is only available
when a person has the map open through the program /usr/OV/bin/netview.  Is
this the case. When I have a map open they are available via the WEB
client, if nobody has the map open the map is not available.  Do I always
need to have a netview program running to allow users access to the WEB
client.  This seems clunky and not too admin or user friendly. Does anyone
have a suggestion on how to get around this problem.  I am running NetView
7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3.   I didn't see any tidbits mentioned in the WEB Console
User's Guide.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim Horwath