[nv-l] how is slot adapter_host set by netview?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] how is slot adapter_host set by netview?
From: "Mildeberger, Thorsten" <thorsten.mildeberger@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:00:32 +0100
Hi all,
I know that this question was already raised in the past, but the emails in
the forum didn´t give the whole picture to me to be honest.

I´m trying to understand how netview internally is setting slot
"adapter_host" in Tivoli events? Where can I find a comprehensive
documentation? I checked some guides, but didn´t find the the rigth place
unfortunately.

I know that there was a change made in version 7.1.3 fixpack1, but it is not
said how to change the layout of this adapter_host slot (i.e. IP address,
short hostname, full qualified). It looks to me as this for sure is done
automatically by netview, but I would like to understand a little better how
this process can be influenced or how it is working at all.

For instace if there is a 7.1.2/7.1.1 netview where this slot is filled with
the short name and on the other hand there would be a netview (same
version), which is using full qualified hostnames for the adapter_host. What
would be the reason behind? I guess it is the way the netview machine is
configured to work, i.e. DNS or a local hosts file, how data is set up in
the DNS/hosts file and the order in which they get used  right?

Thanks in advance.

best regards,