[nv-l] how is slot adapter_host set by netview?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] how is slot adapter_host set by netview?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:18:25 -0400

If you have a version of NetView older than 7.1.3 and your adapter_host on
UNIX is set differently on the two boxes, then they are probably not using
the same name resolution.  Does one of them have the FQDN in /etc/hosts and
the other not?  nvserverd uses the same old gethostbyname/gethostbyaddr
calls that the rest of NetView does.  In earlier releases, he would take
whatever he got back.  Now he wants an FQDN.  The TEC people said they
needed that in order to send events/commands back to NetView.

There isn't any comprehensive documentation because this stuff is being
changed in the middle of a release cycle.  That's why there was a doc APAR
for 7.1.3.  And there was a code change after that, in IY39721, to improve
nvserverd's ability to find the FQDN.  So if you have the Fixpack and this
isn't working, then you might want to get that efix.

The doc will eventually be updated in the future, but it always lags behind
what the developers are doing, especially when functional changes are made
in the middle of a release cycle.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
----- Forwarded by James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM on 06/05/03 08:55 AM -----

                      "Mildeberger,
                      Thorsten"                  To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      <thorsten.mildeberg        cc:
                      er@eds.com>                Subject:  [nv-l] how is slot
adapter_host set by netview?

                      06/05/03 04:00 AM

Hi all,
I know that this question was already raised in the past, but the emails in
the forum didn´t give the whole picture to me to be honest.

I´m trying to understand how netview internally is setting slot
"adapter_host" in Tivoli events? Where can I find a comprehensive
documentation? I checked some guides, but didn´t find the the rigth place
unfortunately.

I know that there was a change made in version 7.1.3 fixpack1, but it is
not
said how to change the layout of this adapter_host slot (i.e. IP address,
short hostname, full qualified). It looks to me as this for sure is done
automatically by netview, but I would like to understand a little better
how
this process can be influenced or how it is working at all.

For instace if there is a 7.1.2/7.1.1 netview where this slot is filled
with
the short name and on the other hand there would be a netview (same
version), which is using full qualified hostnames for the adapter_host.
What
would be the reason behind? I guess it is the way the netview machine is
configured to work, i.e. DNS or a local hosts file, how data is set up in
the DNS/hosts file and the order in which they get used  right?

Thanks in advance.

best regards,
> Thorsten Mildeberger
>
> EMS Solutions - SMC Tools & Automation