RE: [nv-l] Bizarre Router Behavior

To: "Ray Westphal" <westphal2002@charter.net>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Bizarre Router Behavior
From: "Hendrik Zahn" <hendrik.zahn@de.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:43:37 +0200
Cc: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>, "IBM NetView Discussion \(E-mail\)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Hi Donald,
I agree with Ray.
I guess you are not at the latest NetView Level - maybe 712 or 713 without
FP01.
There was a problem with these levels described in APAR IY35183 which looks
like your problem.
Therefore I recommend you to install the FP01 for 713 and some necessary
additonal interim fixes.
Please ask your support team for a complete list.

If all this will not help then it would be the best to let analyse the
situation by your support team too.

MfG./ Best regards
Hendrik Zahn (L2 EMEA Tivoli NetView Support)
E-Mail: hendrik.zahn@de.ibm.com
__________________________________
Need help with Tivoli Software Products?
http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/

                      "Ray Westphal"

                      <westphal2002@cha        To:       "Davis, Donald"
<donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>, "IBM NetView Discussion \(E-mail\)"
                      rter.net>                 <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>

                                               cc:

                      15.07.03 03:11           Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Bizarre
Router Behavior

Hello Don.
I had similar behavior, although not as dramatic, before installing
FixPack1 and bunch of associated APARs. Of course, I was on AIX with 7.1.3.
You don't mention the version or platform. Prior to 7.1.3 on AIX - I also
had similar behavior. I avoided 7.1.2 for some of these symptoms.

We also had the situation where unmanaging a subnet for the frame
interfaces on a router would unmanage the entire router and hub router. The
opposite was also true; managing the frame interface network subnet would
manage the router and the frame hub router. This was due the design of our
maps. Locations with their routers, switches and servers could be 2 - 3
levels below the top level (home) U.S. map.

Two more ideas you probably have already considered:

    Have you checked ovwdb cache and current database object count?
    Is the router ICMP or SNMP status polled? I've seen the router object
act unusual with SNMP status poll and long response times.

Hope this helps.

Let us know what you find.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car