[nv-l] RE: Switch Analyzer

To: "'Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com'" <Hennis_Alan_E@cat.com>
Subject: [nv-l] RE: Switch Analyzer
From: "Scherting, Mark" <mscherting@state.mt.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:20:47 -0600
Cc: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Alan,

We're not using Switch Analyzer but we did take a look at it on a test
system.  For the $$$$$$$ the usefulness wasn't there and the per port
pricing was a disincentive.  The current version does see VLANs other than
default but the only devices you can see in the other VLANs are MANAGED
devices in Netview.  We were hoping it would show at least IP address & MAC
of connected devices, especially if someone had hung a hub off one of our
switch ports.  Nope.

I can see where it would be useful in a totally flat, switched network, but
we have lots of routers and few devices behind critical switch ports.

FWIW, Switch Analyzer is OEM'd from an outfit called Magnum Technologies.

Mark Scherting
State of Montana
Information Technology Services Division