Re: [nv-l] SAN Disk Utilization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SAN Disk Utilization
From: CMazon@commercebankfl.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:48:52 -0400
Thanks for the input Jim.  We had a bad experience with the old TSanM and
have not tried the new version yet to see if it has improved.  We do have
McData switches and have their MIBS but I was hoping to just monitor some
specific servers hard disk space without requiring a third party.
Identifying the LUN for that specific server and monitor it through the SAN
may have to be the way that I have to go.  I contacted QLogic and they do
not have any MIBs for their HBA's and was hoping that one of the creative
people in this group had found a work around for it. I know the Compaq MIBS
and system MIBS do not pick up on those fibre attached drives.

Thanks again.

Carlos Mazon

|         |           Jim Kellock      |
|         |           <jkellock@nc.rr.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           08/06/2003 03:21 |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] SAN Disk Utilization

Reading this back, it's probably more info than you want, and not quite
what you asked for, but hope it's useful-
There a many applications that can help with this-  Switch, NAS,
gateway, and director vendors all have apps for their devices, and
Tivoli San Manager (TSanM) is available [It rides on top of NetView],
and there are other software vendors (Datacore, Veritas, etc) who do all
or some things.  Cisco has a slick application for their new switches.
The trick generally is that you need both in-band and out-of-band
connectivity to get the full picture.  This means that your management
server will need both fibre channel and ethernet connectivity to the SAN
devices.  Most of the storage devices on the market do NOT have rich
MIBS, almost none have R/W MIBS. All will send some sort of traps, and
many are CIM compliant, so to get all you want from the latter, you may
need some kind of intermediary application to translate CIM to SNMP.
For example, IBM Director for IBM xSeries servers is useful.

Typically, the application will want an agent on the server.  You can
either identify the LUN to watch (from the SAN perspective) or the SCSI
partition (from the server side).  Depending on whether the server is
clustered Active/Active and/or uses multiplipathing (more than one HBA),
or multiple paths from/through the SAN switch(es) to the storage cluster
(and whether it is Active/Active or Active/Passive), simply monitoring
the server may not suffice.  The switch applications can also provide
zoning information to help complete the picture.  TSanM is useful for
this, especially if you have Brocade switches.  It uses the Brocade APIs
to get zoning/switch info.

Hope this helps.

Jim Kellock.
CMazon@commercebankfl.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know a way of monitoring partitions on a SAN for a particular
> system?  The regular system host mibs don't pick up on the fiber attached
> disks and I have no way of monitoring the space or I/O usage.
>
> Netview 7.1.3 / Windows 2000
>
> Thanks.
>
> Carlos
> Commercebank

> *NOTE*
> This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)