Re: [nv-l] RFI : meaning of "Interface has no connectivity in unreachabl

To: "Philippe Menard" <PME@fr.ibm.com>, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] RFI : meaning of "Interface has no connectivity in unreachable region" ?
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:46:28 -0500

Philippe,

I am going to have to stick out my neck and disagree with Paul.

In NetView 7.1.2 a trap was added:  58916970 (IUNREACH_EV).      This is
what changes status to unreachable, it does not reuse 58916967.   (did I
misunderstand Paul?)

You have a subnet "becoming" unreachable......
      - you may get several interface "down" traps from some computers in
that subnet.
      - you will start to get several interface "down" traps from
interfaces on routers in that subnet.
      - at the time when you get the LAST router interface down trap for
that subnet, NetView realizes the whole subnet is unreachable.  Does
NetView generate an interface down or an interface unreachable...? not
sure.    Maybe the interface down trap saying that it is in an unreachable
network.
      - I would assume that at this point netmon stops polling all
computers in that subnet.   Also, all interfaces currently down get
generated a 58916970 to change their status to unreachable.  This will
still leave other computers as "normal" that netmon had stopped polling of.

So, where does this leave the 58916967 trap saying it is " Interface
Ethernet0 has no connectivity in unreachable region".    Do you see a bunch
of those or just one?   Could this be the last router interface in an
unreachable region that netmon has found down?

Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com