[nv-l] Status propagation

To: "NVList (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Status propagation
From: Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:33:36 -0400
Need Help !!!!

We have a standalone Netview 7.1.3 system on the Win2K platform.  I am brand new to NetView and have the task of figuring out how to use it....so I am in the very beginning phases of knowledge with NetView....I apologize in advance for any questions that may seem rediculous !!!  I have been able to successfully get NetView to discover our network and was even able to use the location.conf file to get everything mapped geographically.  What I next need to accomplish is to gain a better understanding and confidence in the Status propagation of objects....from what I've seen so far, the status color and actual status propagation is of very little use.   I have devices that have a red status that are in fact UP, and have been for two days....yet Netview still shows it as red.  Why would this happen ???  The basic question is this:  Is NetView designed such that I can rely on it to notify me immediately when critical systems (routers, etc.) have interfaces that go down.  I understand that there needs to be some "tweaking" to get it to do what I want, but even with the basic status propagation, I haven't seen anything that I can rely on yet.  I'm guessing that where I need to start is the polling ?  I did in fact take a couple of our routers and set the polling for status to every 1 minute....and in particular I did this on one of the devices that is red, yet is actually up.....still no update of the status colors......what is wrong here ?  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  Does anyone know of a Redbook or other documentation that is geared towards "How to" do something vs. "You can" do this?

Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever !!!!!!!!!

Brian Kraftchick
Network Administrator
Old Dominion Freight Line
Ph: (336) 822-5938