Re: [nv-l] trapd error

To: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd error
From: tivoli <tivoli@bu.brauunion.ro>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:37:27 +0300
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
thanks again James

sad but true.. I was afraid that's the reason
linux version? does it support trap v2?
what about not receiving Nokia traps in Netview we did some tests restarting the machine and I saw some snmptraps like Link up in ethereal but couldn't see them in netview. another test was to send a snmptrap from checkpoint firewall software whenever we have a specific firewall rule (it was permit snmp read) and I received them in netview event log as "enterprise specific trap from ENTERPRISES...." I guess that's because we didn't configured any trap for checkpoint specific enterprise mib (like I said I mib2trap returned zero traps from checkpoint mib file)

lucian

James Shanks wrote:

I'd say you need more current service for trapd. Or else you need to stop getting SNMP V2 traps from Nokia, or Checkpoint or whomever. The trapd you have (on Windows) CANNOT receive SNMP V2 traps and will fail under certain circumstances just as you describe. Having devices send SNMP V2 traps to your Windows NetView is pointless -- it will either ignore them (the best case) or die trying to process them (the worst case). There is service available which tries to make trapd ignore all such traps and not die, but that is the best you will see for the near future. I would contact IBM Service and obtain a more recent e-fix for your level of code. The latest level for NetView 7.1.3 is the one provided by PJ29321, though the earlier PJ29186 should also solve your problem. But all that either will do is toss your SNMP V2 traps away.

If you have a need to see SNMP V2 traps in NetView then you have no choice at this time but to switch to a UNIX implementation.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

*tivoli <tivoli@bu.brauunion.ro>*

09/16/2003 08:49 AM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com cc: Subject: [nv-l] trapd error

hi there list
again a netview on windows problem!!
we try to receive some checkpoint traps and instead we receive a
"program error" from trapd ... and half of the daemons are death.
also I can't see Nokia traps (I saw with a "tcpdump-like" tool they are
coming but I can't see them in netview event log!!)
of course I had imported nokia mibs (some are version I some are version
II) and also checkpoint mibs (this is version1  I think).. anyway I
couldn't import (via mib2trap) any traps from checkpoint mib file.
anyway the main error is that killing daemons error
any ideea?
thanks !
Lucian

*NOTE*