Re: [nv-l] Cisco CSS + netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cisco CSS + netview
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:35:07 -0400

(1) mib2trap does not put data into trapd.conf.  It produces a script of addtrap commands which you must then run to update trapd.conf.
Did you get output from mib2trap?  You have to specify a file for it, like this
        mib2trap <input_mib_file> <output_file>

(2)  You will only get data in the output file if the MIBs you are using as input contain either TRAP-TYPE or NOTIFICATION-TYPE statements.
Do they.  You can browse them with any editor or  use grep to find out:
        grep TRAP-TYPE <input_mib_file>   or  grep NOTIFICATION-TYPE <input_mib-file>

(3)  mib2trap will most likely  not tell you what 1.3.6.1.4.1.2467.1.15  means.  There are vendors, such as Tavve, for example, which provide additional formatting statements in their MIBs so that mib2trap can produce a much more defined addtrap script.  This formatting in defined in the mib2trap man page.  But most vendors do not do this.   Usually they give you nothing and so mib2trap produces just his default format, which I described last time:  enterprise id, generic and specific trap numbers, an a list of all variables which were sent paired with their MIB OIDs.   This simple output will not tell you anything at all about what the trap means.   You have to do that yourself.

First, you have to read the MIB which contains the TRAP-TYPE definition to find out what variables are being sent.  They are listed in the VARIABLES clause, in the order in which they will be sent.  Thus if the VARIABLES clause says, for example,  VARIABLES   { sysUpTime, sysDescr }
then this trap sends two variables,  sysUpTime and sysDescr,   and you can match that with the default format for the trap as it shows up in trapd.log.  The first variable will show up as [1] and the second as [2].    In this simple example, you probably already know what sysUpTime and  sysDescr  are.  But in a real-life case you might to look further into the MIB to see what the variables stand for.   If your information is spread over multiple MIBs then you should try loading them with one of the MIB loaders so you can match the OIDs better.   This remains a manual process.
There is no magic here.

Bottom line:  mib2trap will help you define a trap to trapd but it will not tell you what the trap means.  You have to find that out by looking at the MIB or the vendor documentation.  Then you will probably want to modify the mib2trap-provided definition so that it makes better sense.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Tom Hallberg <gimli@hhcrew.tk>

09/16/2003 08:21 AM