RE: [nv-l] xnmsnmpconf question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] xnmsnmpconf question
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:13:13 -0400

I can confirm that performance improvements have been made in this area by  7.1.3 Fixpack1  -- I have heard about them in meetings -- but I have no details to share.  That's not my area of the code.  You'll just have to take my word for it, I guess.  I cannot tell you when exactly the improvements occurred, nor exactly what was done. But we simply don't handle hints the same way as we used to and the underlying code for xnmsnmpconf was rewritten to improve performance.  That much I'll swear to.

As for speeding up the migration, surely you are joking.   What is your customer waiting for?  NetView 5.1.2 wasn't even the last release of NetView Version 5.1.  We stabilized it at NetView 5.1.3.  That level alone contained dozens of fixes your customer doesn't have.   Your customer is running code which is already about four years out of support.  It is so old that I doubt that anyone on the planet can help you figure out what to do with it, except to upgrade.   My advice is to get on a currently supported level, and then you can real help with whatever problems you might still have.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Pritesh Jewan <Pritesh@aptronics.co.za>

09/16/2003 04:28 AM