Re: [nv-l] How to pass Octet String trap parameter to script ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to pass Octet String trap parameter to script ?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:03:14 -0400

Sorry, but no.
There is no facility to pass on "cooked" data.   And you are correct those other formatting techniques have nothing to do with this issue either, nor does the AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters.   But I am curious.  Are you saying that the varbind "$3" is empty when it gets to ovactiond?  Or does it still contain one or more hex characters?    Or is that exactly the problem, that you cannot tell which is the case?

Off hand, I cannot think of a way out of your predicament.  If what you want to do is simply print the message for analysis later, then you could use the
 roundabout method of capturing the formatted string as an Additional Action in nvevents.   As the man page for trapd.conf shows, you can capture the formatted message of an event in the display as $MSG and use a script to print that.  But I don't see how to  pass it on to ovactiond for anything automatic.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Philippe Menard" <PME@fr.ibm.com>

09/16/2003 12:30 PM