RE: [nv-l] Event Browser

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Event Browser
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:57:28 -0400

Brian --

I just told you that you can configure the purge interval.
Use Server Setup, go to Daemon Control, then pull down the window and select the Trap daemon.
You will see parms you can set which control how big the event database is and what the purge interval is.
The biggest your db will get is  the sum of those numbers.  The defaults are 5000 and 1000.  So by default the minimum size is 5000 events, and when we have stored an additional 1000, we purge it back to 5000, wiping out the earliest first.    I don't recommend any smaller than this.

There are limits on what you can set here.  You can specify for example that we purge every 500 but it will be ignored (and you'll get a message in the nv.log to that effect) and the default of 1000 will be retained.

This is all explained in the books the last time I checked.  Go to /usr/OV/books and check out the User's Guide and the Programmer's Reference.  The PDF files are the easiest to open.  You can use the html as well from here.  Just open default.htm first and follow the links.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>

09/22/2003 09:25 AM