Re: [nv-l] Configuring backups for NetView 7.1.2 / 7.1.3

To: "Michael J. Freeman" <mfreeman@wamnet.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Configuring backups for NetView 7.1.2 / 7.1.3
From: bill.kellam@worldspan.com
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:36:21 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

The nvhotbackup is what I do. And as a previous responder mentioned, you
need to get other files under /usr/OV, especially lrf and conf.

You're right about the lack of restore info too. My procedure is basically
this:
      Shut down all GUIs
      ovstop
      tar xvf <whatever-files-you-want-to-restore>
      /usr/OV/service/reset_ci
      ovstart

Regards,
Bill Kellam
Enterprise Integration and Management

                      "Michael J.

                      Freeman"                 To:
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      <mfreeman@wamnet.        cc:

                      com>                     Subject:  [nv-l] Configuring
backups for NetView 7.1.2 / 7.1.3

                      09/25/2003 01:39

                      PM

Hi,

I am trying to find out how to properly backup NetView 7.1.2. It seems
there are 2 different ways, one method is going through the GUI and
navigating to the backup menu, and starting a backup that way. It appears
the command that gets run is this :

/usr/OV/install/tools/nvp.v7r1 save -p '/usr/OV/ALL.USER' -vg 'none'
'no_replace'

This command requires that the GUI be shut down however. I am wondering if
there is a way to do the backups without having to kill the GUI, as we run
the GUI on several consoles inside NOC’s throughout the world and it would
be a pain in the ass to have to go and restart “ovw” on each of the
clients.

The second program I found, ‘nvhotbackup’ (/usr/OV/bin/nvhotbackup) looks
like it does a similar thing. It does an ovpause and then does the backups
and then does ovresume. I am pretty sure this also kills the gui.

What kills ME is that IBM Tivoli has provided no means to RESTORE from the
data that you backed up. I cannot find any tools or scripts inside the
distribution or from the GUI, nor can I find any documentation related to
it, and IBM support has basically given me no help.

I am curious if any people on this list have had any similar expierences,
and if so, what they did to get around them, or what they ended up
implementing. Also, I am going ot be using Veritas NetBackup to do this and
I would also like to know if anyone has done this and how they were able to
automate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Michael J. Freeman