Re: [nv-l] CRC and collision checking

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] CRC and collision checking
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:13:42 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 04:16:21 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Mario,

At 05:23 AM 7/10/2003 -0700, Mario Behring wrote:

> Hi lists,
>
> Does anybody know how to configure NetView to check CRC and collision of
> TCP/IP in/out packets from routers and switches ports ?? It would also be
> nice to configure thresholds and send events to TEC when they are reached.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mario

I think the way you would do this is to set NetView to do data collection on
MIB variables that count CRC errors and Ethernet collisions, and define
threshold events on these in the data collector.

Your routers and switches should support the Etherlike-MIB (RFC 2665,
previously RFC 2358 , previously RFC 1650).

This MIB has a table, dot3StatsTable, which consists of a set of error
counters
including counters for CRC errors and counters for collisions.

You will probably find error counters like these in some vendor enterprise
MIBs
too.

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software