Re: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration settings

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Configuration settings
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:45:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:54:24 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Georg,
I think you probably need 2 NetView techniques to achieve what you want.
1) It sounds like you want to define "down" as tried to ping 10 times and got no response? This is done in the SNMP Configuration settings that you have obviously used. I would set retry to 10 but I would leave the timeout value around the default of 2 or 3 seconds - this is the timeout for each ping. The polling interval is this panel says how often you try to poll - 5 minutes is the default - it depends on how soon you need to know that the device has gone down. 2) The second piece of your requirement says that you want to be notified after a node has been down for 10 minutes. The NetView ruleset editor (from the Tools menu) provides a sample rule that should suit your needs. sampcorrNuNd.rs says "if you get a Node Down and you get a Node Up from the same node, within 10 minutes, then resolve (ie. remove from the event log) the Node Down event". There is also a similar rule that correlates Interface events, rather than Node events.

Kind regards,
Jane

Georg Gangl wrote:

Dear Madam/Sir,

This is my first e-mail to the NetView Forum group. I have got one question and
I would like to thank you in advance for any help.
We only want to get alarms for less important devices when they are down for at
least 10 minutes, after they are polled 10 times. So we set the SNMP
Configuration parameters to polling = 5 min, timeout = 30 sec and retry = 10.
Is this a practicable way in NetView 7.1 or are there any limits which do not
allow these SNMP Configuration settings ?

Best regards,
Georg Gangl

_____________________________
Ing. Georg Gangl