Re: [nv-l] Compress database Directory

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Compress database Directory
From: Julie V Opheim <jopheim@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:50:43 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:01:38 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Scott...

I have stopped all the NetView services, tar'd up the whole OV directory
and tar'd it back during upgrade testing, patch testing, etc...
if services are down, I haven't had issues.

We also use tar every night to back things up... but we stop netmon first.

Good luck!

Julie V Opheim
ESM Tools
IBM Global Services - SDCW @ American Express
email:  jopheim@us.ibm.com
Desk:  612-678-2066
Fax:     612-671-6481

                      "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}"

                      <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>        To:       "'Nv-L
(nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      owner-nv-l-digest@lists        Subject:  [nv-l] Compress
database Directory
                      .us.ibm.com

                      10/14/2003 02:31 PM

                      Please respond to nv-l

NetView 7.1.3 AIX 4.3.3

I am doing some trouble shooting on one of my NetView servers and I am
getting ready to restart automatic map generation but before I do I want to
back up my databases directory. I remember someone telling me not to use
tar
on the databases because it can damage them. Is that true and if it is,
what
should I use?

Thanks,

Scott Bursik