Re: [nv-l] Compress database Directory

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Compress database Directory
From: "Mike Walsh" <Mike.Walsh@us.ing.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:49:02 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:57:25 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
What happens if you should use the GUI "serversetup", "maintain", "compress
the IP topology database"?  Would this be more efficient (and easier to use
for a newbie.

Mike Walsh
****Please Note - New EMAIL Address  mike.walsh@us.ing.com*********
612-342-3118

                      James Shanks

                      <jshanks@us.ibm.c        To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: [nv-l] Compress
database Directory
                      10/14/2003 03:45

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

Tar doesn't break anything.  It's just dumb and wastes space, not when you
create the tar file but when you restore it.  Your restored database will
typically use more space than it did when it was tar'd up.

NetView databases in UNIX are what are known as a sparse file system.  The
items in them are pointed to by pointers in a directory file.  Typically
these are widely spaced numerically.  When the untar occurs, tar actually
allocates file space for all the entries between the existing pointers,
space which may never be used.   Because of this we have always recommended
that when you restore, you use pax rather than tar, because pax is smart
enough to understand the sparse file system and not use more space than he
needs.  Of course, if you have a lot of disk space this is not an issue,
and with the use of nvTurbodatabase, which now automatically compresses the
sparse files on startup, the whole thing is probably moot.  I haven't
looked into it in quite a while.

But  if you are on an older version or you just want to play safe and save
your disk space,  if you do, for example,
 tar  -cvf  mybakup.tar   /usr/OV/databases/openview
to create your backup, then do
 pax   -rp  e  -f  mybakup.tar
to restore it.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

      "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/14/2003 03:31 PM