RE: [nv-l] OSPF route change detection

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] OSPF route change detection
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal2002@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:17:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:28:04 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Brian,

While I have seen some interesting and informative traps from Nortel Contivity VPN concentrators, I don't know much about the traps a Nortel BLN hub router can produce. Cisco routers generate link down traps for the "serial" interface when the frame circuit drops. If so - you can setup a ruleset to run a script if a link down occurs and it remains down for "x" minutes. This way you avoid creating many events when you have troublesome circuits.

If not the hub router then how about the central Extranet device generating VPN connection established trap or a user (remote site) login trap? The remote Extranet device may generate a trap when it assumes the ARN's LAN address but would it make it back to NetView if the VPN "tunnel" is not up yet?

There are probably are number of ways to learn of the remote network change.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car