Re: [nv-l] tecad_ov.baroc

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] tecad_ov.baroc
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:07:27 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:15:45 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Meyos  -

We can tell you how things can, do, and should work for TEC.  With Mastercell you are entirely on your own.  I don't think anyone else is using it, because they are not a partner but a competitor to TEC.  So it is likely that you will first have to understand how NetView and TEC work together and then plan your own strategy for Mastercell.  That means you are going to have to read, and probably experiment, a lot.

On UNIX, TEC forwarding has three interconnected pieces:
        (1) the tecint.conf file,  which tells the internal TEC adapter in nvserverd where to send the events, what ruleset,  and what base class to use.  The base class part is new in for NetView 7.13/TEC 3.8, which Tivoli now regards as just one product (iTEC or Integrated TEC, with NetView now known officially as the Integrated TCP/IP Services Component of TEC).   Before 3.8 the base class was Nvserverd_Event and as this was defaulted to, it was not specified.
        (2)  A ruleset in /usr/OV/conf/rulesets.  Before NetView 7.1.3/TEC 3.8 many users just used forwardall.rs and sent everything to TEC.  Others created their own to pare that down.  With 7.1.3, was provide TEC_ITS.rs, which is matched to what the automated TEC rules are expecting over in TEC.  If you aren't using those rules, then you can send whatever you want.
        (3)  trapd.conf.  The internal adapter in nvserverd runs the ruleset specified in tecint.conf and turns the events he gets from nvcorrd into TEC events according to the TEC class and slot information specified in trapd.conf.  That's a key match.  It's the defs in trapd.conf which determine what classes and slots the events will have when sent to TEC, and they need to match what the baroc files and rules you are using in TEC expect.  before NetView 7.1.3/TEC 3.8 we used tecad_ov.baroc and trapd.conf matched that.  Now, if you run the upgrade script or install anew, you get a trapd.conf with TEC_ITS definitions in it.  If you want to go back to the old ones, and you didn't run the script (which makes a copy of you old trapd.conf) then I would call Support and have them send you an earlier default version of trapd.conf.  Or you can just dump the reception log at TEC (wtdumprl)! and see where the parsing failures are occurring and fix them.  Your choice.

As for mib2trap, before 71.3, the baroc files he generated all had Nvserverd_Event as base class.  You loaded a netview.baroc into TEC which had the Nvserverd_Event  class def in it so that you could send additional events not defined in tecad_ov.baroc  and would parse correctly at TEC.  Beginning with Fixpack1 for 7.1.3 mib2trap (which was overlooked in 7.1.3 initially ) on UNIX will accept your preferred base class name as a fourth parameter.  But the baroc file output of mib2trap can also be modified by edit if you don't have the FixPack.  It's just an ASCII file after all.  If you want to get FixPack1 and still don't  know how after what's been said here before, try searching the nv-l archives, or alternatively I suggest a call to Support locally and ask them.  They will give you instructions which are correct for your geography, wherever that is.

Now, what baroc you use in Mastercell depends a great deal on what you want to do with the events when they arrive.  In the past TEC had some simple rules in netview.rls matched to the tecad_ov.baroc classes.  Now it has more sophisticated rules matched to the TEC_ITS classes.   I have no idea what Mastercell will do with these rules.  That's for you to determine, and based on that, make your choice of barocs to use, and based on that you will see how you must  configure NetView.  But whatever you choose, you make trapd.conf supply the class names and slot values.  And you configure a ruleset to send just the events you want.  And you specify the ruleset, the base class name, and the TEC destination in tecint.conf.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/16/2003 10:43 AM