RE: [nv-l] trapd.log

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] trapd.log
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:34:00 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:41:08 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Brian -

mib2trap even on Windows will parse SNMP V2 traps into addtrap statements.  And you can load SNMP V2 MIBs with either loadmibv2 (and browse with browserv2) or the java MIB loader from the web client, mibloader.bat.  If you are getting traps showing as DEFAULT FMT then they are being sent ad SNMP V1 not SNMP V2 traps.

I took a quick look at the MIBs from your link and they puzzle me greatly.  The names call them V1, yet they contain the MODULE IDENTITY statement, which is an SNMP V2 construct, so I don't quite know what to make of them.  But that may not be important.

In any case, I would try running addtrap on them and see what happens.  Since there are two MIBs, and one seems to be nothing but trap definitions, I would concatenate the two MIB files, the trap definitions second, into one big file, and run then mib2trap on that. If you cannot get that to work, I would call Support.  While I am forbidden to do anything more than give advice here, someone in Level 2 will be happy to download your MIBs and help you get the traps defined correctly.  That's what they do.

Alternatively, yes, you could just read the trap definitions MIB and manually add definitions to trapd.conf with Trap Settings.  That's always an option.  Alternatively, when the DEFAULT FMT message appears in the Event Browser, if you right click on that event and select "Event Details" you can see all the variables which were sent with that trap.  One way or the other, you can manually define the trap.   It is not hard.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/20/2003 03:38 PM