RE: [nv-l] Rulesets / Alerting

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Rulesets / Alerting
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:34:20 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:42:47 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Brian -

You are on Windows are you not?   It is important to understand that NetView for UNIX and NetView for Windows, while quite similar are NOT the same product.   Only about 60 per cent of the code is common.  Windows needs a separate GUI and many of its daemons work differently because of the Windows environment.  They were designed by different people at different times.  It is important to remember this and to state what platform you are using when you ask a question.

On the Windows platform, event correlation is very much more difficult than on UNIX.  On UNIX the correlation daemon gets the events before they are sent to TEC.  The flow is from trapd to nvcorrd (the correlation daemon) to nvserverd (which has an internal TEC adapter)  and then on to individual event displays and to TEC.  On Windows trapd stores the event in the ODBC database directly and then passes a copy directly to both the correlation daemon (nvcord) and to the TEC adapter (nv6k_tecad).  There is no way for the correlation daemon to modify the event the TEC adapter gets directly.   Your correlation on Windows is limited to smartset membership, which is the only NetView facility that the tecad adapter checks in Windows before sending the event.  Everything else you can do is done with go-no filter statements in the tecad_nv6k.conf file.

You can do correlation with nvcord daemon yourself on Windows but to get really creative you would need a UNIX system because there is no NetView ruleset editor on Windows.  But you could do simple things, like send a page or an email right from an event or from a very simple ruleset , rather than forwarding an event to TEC and doing it there.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Brian Kraftchick <Brian.Kraftchick@odfl.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/21/2003 01:07 PM