Re: [nv-l] Authentication Failure Trap Argument interpretation

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Authentication Failure Trap Argument interpretation
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:07:58 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:23:20 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
At 01:17 PM 23/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> Perhaps so, Joe, but when you send an SNMP V1 trap about an IPv4 address,
> everybody expects it to be x'40", and not just us apparently, but those
other
> tools as well.
>
> In trapd's case, he does not consult any MIB before formatting the data
> values in a V1 trap.  It's a straightforward parse based on the embedded
> ASN.1 type. That design decision was made a long time ago.  Perhaps trapd
> should start reading MIBs first before he attempts to format the variable
> data ,  but  that kind of enhancement is a long way off, in my opinion.
>  The performance implications of it are huge to say the least.
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

One would expect Cisco to not want the world restricted to a 32-bit name space
for IP nodes, so one would expect them to be IPv6 supporters.

As regards trapd performance, doesn't IBM sell servers so IBM would want trapd
chewing up more cpu cycles?

Just kidding.

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software