RE: [nv-l] Reverse lookups from multiple DNS

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Reverse lookups from multiple DNS
From: "John M Gatrell" <John.Gatrell@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:00:43 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:11:21 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

It can't be done in /etc/resolv.conf
First the lookup stops at the first reply, even if it's a 'not known here'.
Second the syntax of resolv.conf should use the 'search' keyword rather than the 'domain' keyword
if there is more than one domain.

If the domains are completely separate then you can add a forwarder statement to the unix dns,
to do queries on your behalf.

That's not what I do here. We have a purely unix dns, and persuaded the NT group to
send DDNS updates from active directory to the unix dns.
The unix dns then updates a secondary unix dns, on the netview box.
For efficiency we then point resolv.conf at the loopback address, not at
the ip address of one of the local interfaces.

nameserver 127.0.0.1

John Gatrell, B.A. Physics, CCNA
RMSC - IBM UK's Remote Managed Services Centre
Tel:  0870-010-6284 Internal 814732