[nv-l] NV714-WIN - etherStatsCRCAlignErrors returns nothing from routers

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] NV714-WIN - etherStatsCRCAlignErrors returns nothing from routers
From: Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:11:48 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:23:30 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi list,

I have this need of monitoring CRC errors and I have just found the MIB field  .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.rmon.statistics.etherStatsTable.etherStatsEntry. etherStatsCRCAlignErrors. .

The description of this field is the one below:

"The total number of packets received that had a length (excluding framing bits, but
including FCS octets) of between 64 and 1518 octets, inclusive, but were not an integral number of octets in length or had a bad Frame Check Sequence (FCS)."

This pretty much is what I need and it can be configured like any other snmpcollect MIB _expression_. The problem is, and let me state that I am no router expert, I am just the Tivoli guy.

The problem is that when I open the Browser MIB and click at the Get Values button no data comes from the routers.

Do I have to install or enable anything at these routers, like RMON or something ?? Or is it something at the NetView itself ?

Any help is appreciated.

Mario Behring
Tivoli Consultant
Siemens Business Services