Re: [nv-l] NV714-WIN - etherStatsCRCAlignErrors returns nothing from ro

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV714-WIN - etherStatsCRCAlignErrors returns nothing from routers
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:15:42 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:15:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Assuming you are able to query other MIB object values from your routers,
it is
most probably not a problem at the NetView end such as an incorrect community
string, but most likely that your routers do not support this RMON table. If
they do support RMON, you should turn it on at the routers.

However, my guess is that it more likely that they support the EtherLike-MIB
than that they support RMON.  I would try a Get on dot3StatsFCSErrors in the
EtherLike-MIB. Load this MIB and try the Get. Loading the MIB will not turn on
anything at the routers but will mean you do not have to use the dotted
decimal
notation in your Gets. If you do not have this MIB file I can email it to you.

Check if the vendor documentation says anything about support of either the
Etherlike-MIB or RMON and if so, how you turn it on at the SNMP agent in the
routers.

If neither works, you may still be able to find a CRC counter in one of the
vendor's enterprise MIBs. What routers are you using?

At 02:11 PM 20/11/2003 -0800, you wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have this need of monitoring CRC errors and I have just found the MIB
> field
> .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.rmon.statistics.etherStatsTable.etherStat
> sEntry. etherStatsCRCAlignErrors. .
>
> The description of this field is the one below:
>
> "The total number of packets received that had a length (excluding framing
> bits, but
> including FCS octets) of between 64 and 1518 octets, inclusive, but were not
> an integral number of octets in length or had a bad Frame Check Sequence
> (FCS)."
>
> This pretty much is what I need and it can be configured like any other
> snmpcollect MIB expression. The problem is, and let me state that I am no
> router expert, I am just the Tivoli guy.
>
> The problem is that when I open the Browser MIB and click at the Get Values
> button no data comes from the routers.
>
> Do I have to install or enable anything at these routers, like RMON or
> something ?? Or is it something at the NetView itself ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Mario Behring
> Tivoli Consultant
> Siemens Business Services