[nv-l] Switch Analyzer : unable to determine gateway segment

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Switch Analyzer : unable to determine gateway segment
From: Michael Webb <mlwebb@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:59:05 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:11:54 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I just subscribed to the forum, so I cannot respond directly to the originator of this thread via the forum. Below is my response.

Is there some reason you have not upgraded to ITSA 1.2.1? The latest version has support for Multiple Subnets off of a switch, VLANs, and some enhancements to the reports. This release also does a better job of placing devices in default locations when it cannot determine exactly where to put the device.

I will send email to bart@isiskorea.com and lupusys@empal.com containing the enhancements Field Guide for ITSA 1.2.1 for your review.

How do you know that v1.2 supports the 2 switch models 3Com Switch 1000 and BayStack 470-48T? I am curious as to how you determined that.

You stated that you checked the "topo_server.log" and received the message, "unable to determine gateway segment". In ITSA v1.2.1, this error message actually goes away with the new default location function, which is a good reason to upgrade.

You ask how to fix this problem? As I have implied above, I think you should first go to the latest release, which is ITSA 1.2.1. This should give you better discovery at layer 2. Then you can refer to the Troubleshooting Guide for questions you have in the future.

I will send email to bart@isiskorea.com and lupusys@empal.com containing the Troubleshooting Guide Field Guide for ITSA 1.2.1 for your review.

Regards,

Michael Webb, IBM Tivoli
Q1CA Distributed NetView / ITSA SVT