RE: [nv-l] Netviewd and ipmap

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netviewd and ipmap
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:25:30 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 21:33:24 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I will give you my 'un-official' opinion.

netviewd has similiar function as 'ipmap' without the x-windows interface.

The reason I say that is...ipmap will own the r/w copy of the map database. (map, object and topology are the 3 databases of NetView). Earlier, this meant that a r/w map had to be open on someone's desktop for the map database to be updated properly as nodes and interfaces were added/deleted/changed by the discovery process. With 'netviewd', this daemon now updates the map database without the x-Windows portion being required. This makes it easier to run NetView lights out...and simply bring open the r/w map when you really want to.

What does this mean? When you run an ipmap, he sees that netviewd is already running and owns the r/w map. You can have ipmap get the r/w map with the right keyword. With this, I would guess that also both applications are listening on simliar port numbers, etc.... Just as 2 or more ipmaps see each other (and who has r/w map), the interaction between netviewd and ipmap is similar.

If you always want to have a R/W map open on your desktop 24x7 (or somebodies) then you would not have to have netviewd running.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com