Re: [nv-l] Polling devices that are loadhosts'd into object database

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Polling devices that are loadhosts'd into object database
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:15:07 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:22:37 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

This is all a bit interesting.

1. Do your devices support SNMP? Have you updated NetView with the right community strings? If so, then only one IP address PER device would need to be in the seed file. NetView will walk the MIB of that device and discover the other IP addresses from the interface table. You are doing overkill by including all IP addresses...just one per device is needed with discovery turned off.

2. If you are using loadhosts, then you don't need a seedfile for discovery. It is redundant. Again, if the devices support SNMP, the loadhost will load one interface into NetView, NetView will find other interfaces from the MIB interface table. With discovery off, NetView will not read the ARP cache and find other nodes from this device.

3. Using a basic seedfile has NOTHING to do with ICMP or SNMP status polling. However, you can build a seedfile with specific syntax to tell NetView to only use SNMP polling for specific devices. It needs additional characters to force NetView to do that.

Many people do not want NetView to discover their whole network at once due to the load on your network. But you really have 3 choices: 1) discovery off 2) discovery on 3) discovery of backbone.

I would recommend that you start NetView (blank map) with discovery of backbone. Then I would use your application to build a seed file of just your servers you want to manage. With the seedfile, no need to also do loadhosts. Save your loadhosts for devices that don't want to come into NetView. You can try loadhosts then walk the device's MIB to determine why he has problems. Many times it will be due to a bad subnet mask. Then I would do an ovtopodump and compare that list of devices against the whole list you want to discover. What is missing would need to be investigated and could be a result of mistakes in their network configurations. Every customer I have helped has found configuration mistakes in their network due to NetView's discovery. Some minor, some not so minor.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
Inactive hide details for "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>

          "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com