[nv-l] Polling devices that are loadhosts'd into object database

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Polling devices that are loadhosts'd into object database
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:12:05 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:19:27 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Question for the masses.

ENV:   Netview 7.1.4 AIX 5.1

We have a product that creates a seedfile using IP addresses.   In this seedfile are router, switches, servers, etc.  TO INCLUDE all the interface IPs of said routers, switches, servers, ETC.
We have Discover New nodes disabled in the setup so only what is in the seedfile will be discovered.  However, the Objects database is loaded via creating a loadhosts line for each IP in the seedfile.
the loadhosts line includes a -p -P -M (with proper subnet) and then the IP address found in each line fo the seedfile.

OK heres the question. According to documentation on the AIX version of Netview a device loaded via seedfile will not be polled using ICMP only SNMPGET.  Does the fact that I am doing a loadhost into the objects database negate that fact?    Or am I completely insane?

Thanks
Chris Petrina