Re: [nv-l] High CPU Usage in ovwdb

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] High CPU Usage in ovwdb
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:19:55 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:50:12 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

did the installation also create some new NetView smartsets? Are they complex ones? If you stop nvcold, do you quickly see ovwdb settle down?

this is just a wild guess, especially since I see nvcold at 8% cpu on your append.

years back when I was trying to do alot with nvcold I found some poorly written smartset rules cause a lot of lookups in ovwdb. you want the rule to reduce the objects looked through each time...otherwise nvcold will have ovwdb report the whole database..over and over and over which kills the cpu on ovwdb's part.

Stephen Hochstetler shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com