RE: [nv-l] High CPU Usage in ovwdb

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] High CPU Usage in ovwdb
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:53:54 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:22:32 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I pound the crap out of nvcold. I have TONS of smartsets and they are all used in rulesets. The 8% isn't outrageous in my environment.

Tavve did come back with a patch recommendation. I will give that a shot.

My rulesets (and for those of you budding ruleset writers....)

1. Always block as first node
2. Always trap settings for second node.
3. THEN do the smartset query.

Stephen's comments about rulesets and nvcold are quite accurate. If you force OVWDB look ups more than necessary it will have a dramatic impact on performance. In my case, my environment is small enough and my machines are big enough to handle that.

Thanks Stephen, good reality check for me.