Re: [nv-l]

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l]
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:09:16 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:42:04 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Chris -

You are laboring under a couple of misconceptions.

(1) trapd has no connection to the xnmloadmib2 database (/usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib.bin). He only knows about the V1 database (/usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin). It matters not what you load via xnmloadmib2 as far as trapd is concerned.

(2) Even so, the $n (e.g. $2) syntax you put in trapd.conf via xnmtrap directs trapd to print out the value he actually receives, in this case, an integer value. The fact that this integer has a meaning, and represents an enumerated value in a MIB, is not reflected, even for SNMP V1 MIBs loaded into the V1 database, snmpmib.bin. So the fact that this an SNMP V2 MIB value you want to reflect is irrelevant. It would not be automatically replaced by the textual meaning even if the MIB were V1.

(3)There are two ways you can use to get the trapd log / display message to reflect the textual meaning, one which is recommended and one which is not. The one that is recommended is this:
(a) Make the Log message says something like
healthMonRxStatus value received = $n, where 1 = crossedBelowThreshold, 2 = noChange, 3 = crossedAboveThreshold
This way your operators not only know what was sent but also what the range of possible responses is, and what they can expect when the condition being reported clears or changes.
(b) The other way is to experiment with entries in the /usr/OV/conf/oid_to_label file. You could define entries there for a set of state enum mappings which would cause trapd to substitute the text you want in the log and display message. That's not recommended because of its limitations. It's a bit difficult and tedious to do, and you need to be aware that this substitution occurs just in the log / display message. What will be passed on the nvcorrd or ovactiond will be the integer itself, not the text.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>

          "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com