[nv-l] itmquery details??

Subject: [nv-l] itmquery details??
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:27:08 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:04:08 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
A question was asked at today's NetView webcast by Tivoli Support, for more information on the definition of an "ITM Server" with regard to the new NetView itmquery command. As the questionner said, ITM does not have this concept as such - there is a TMR Server, there are Endpoint Gateways that have ITM installed which act as ITM Managed Node Gateways, and there are Endpoints that run ITM Resource Models (RMs).

When you configure NetView for ITM integration, you specify an "ITM Server", a login name, a password and a port number. The port number I can cope with - that I believe is the port that oserv runs on - generally 94. I have done very limited testing on the other parameters, but I believe that these are my findings:

The "ITM Server" can be /any/ Tivoli Managed Node that has ITM installed. Even if it is not the Endpoint Gateway for a particular Endpoint, an itmquery --dump-endpoints seems to get all Endpoints for a TMR, not just those attached to a gateway specified in itm_servers.conf. This means you never need to specify anything other than the TMR Server in itm_servers.conf. I am struggling to believe this and have only tested in a very limited environment - anyone else with any more evidence??

The User Id and password I believe have to satisy 2 criteria. The userid and password must be able to be authenticated by the Operating System of the hostname you supply. That user also has to be setup as a Tivoli Administrator - not worked out all the Tivoli role implications yet - only tried it with userids that correspond to the Root Tivoli Administrator.

I also have to say I have seen lots of quirks around itmquery - command hanging, dumping the usage part way through, not reporting services.....

For anyone who is interested, I have put a paper on the website behind the NetView Tivoli User Group. You can get at it from the TUG site, http://www.tivoli-ug.org/groups.php?groupid=151. Select the URL link Follow the links to HintsAndTips -> ConfigMgmt. The paper discusses servmon and itmquery. It includes a sample script that offers an alternative to itmquery and it shows how to get service icons in a Unix NetView (for those again who were at the webcast this afternoon....). Please understand that this is a very new, best-efforts site. No guarantees on anything - service, content, etc - however it does give an opportunity to swap more detailed ideas than we can convey here. I suggest questions and comments in general on this topic come back here to nv-l; detailed discussions and updates on the paper and scripts offered belong with the NV TUG. Feedback on the NV TUG site operation to me personally.

Oh yes - the NV TUG site is only as good as it's contributions - from everyone!

Cheers,
Jane

PS. For this afternoon's questionner who asked about Planet Tivoli and Tivoli events, I have put links at the NV TUG site to those I know about. Anyone who knows more - feel free to update.

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.