[nv-l] IP Address changing

Subject: [nv-l] IP Address changing
From: "Brian W Green" <brian.green@cgi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:29:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:37:27 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi list.  We have a NV 7.1.1 installation where the IP Address of
devices sometimes gets changed and then polling gets messed up.

Basically, we have a number of devices that are configured for SNMP
polling over one specific interface.  When the device is down, or for
some reason the interface cannot be reached by Netview, netmon (or some
other daemon) changes the snmp address to a different IP in the
interface list - it appears to be the first one in the list.  I have
added the environment variable NV_NETMON_IGNORE_RESP_SNMPADDR=TRUE to
the /usr/OV/bin/netnmrc.pre file, and checked that it is active (using
the netmon -a 160 command and checking the output in
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace) but this doesn't seem to solve the issue.

In the past, when this happens, we have totally deleted the affected
device then re-added it.  There are a number right now that this has
happened to - so I am trying to find a more permanent solution.

Also, for these devices, would anyone have a method to correct the SNMP
address of the device?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian W. Green
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
CGI Information Systems and Management Consulting
275 Slater Street, 14th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5H9
(613) 234-2155