Re: [nv-l] Loadhosts and other issues of interest

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Loadhosts and other issues of interest
From: Oliver Bruchhaeuser <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:59:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:09:49 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Christopher,

A1,1:
if you use loadhosts for  10.10.10.10 without the netmask NetView will
first create a class A network 10.0.0.0 for that device.
You won't like it.

A1,2:
Try this call:
echo 10.10.10.10  name_here | loadhosts -m netmask

A2:
the comands:
ovmapcount -a
ovtopofix -A # if you only have one map, else use "ovtopofix -a"
should delete those objects from the object database.

Oliver

|         |           "Christopher J   |
|         |           Petrina"         |
|         |           <cjp8@meadwestvac|
|         |           o.com>           |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           19.02.2004 22:38 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                        |
  |       cc:
                                        |
  |       Subject:  [nv-l] Loadhosts and other issues of interest
                                        |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Greetings,

Why is the subnet important in a loadhost entry? especially when I can add
a device without subnet.   Also loadhost simply adds the device to the
objects database, when the configuration poll time comes around it is going
to determine the subnet mask of the device anyways.  SO I guess why do I
have to have it in the initial loading (loadhosts -m subnet)?   Also in
just a standard
(loadhosts <<EOF
> 10.10.10.10  name_here
>EOF
)  what does this do EXACTLY.  how does it determine anything about the
device itself; or doesit simply make an entry int he objects database and
move on?  Also are there any error outputs for the loadhosts because all it
tells me is 0 nodes added and 0 interfaces added. Does not tell me why it
was not added.

Q2:  how is it possible that a device can be in the objects database but
not exist on any map (in this case I only have one map)? I have a device in
the objects database with IP status of Normal, all the tellign signs that
it is a perfectly fine device.   Yet it is not anywhere to be found on the
map.  Not under any other name or IP address or status.  and the ovwdbdmap
-d thing does work though alittle harshly.

TIA
Chris Petrina