Re: [nv-l] monitoring port flapping

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] monitoring port flapping
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:05:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:11:06 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I usually run a ruleset that watches for link down traps from devices. Include a threshold set for something like 3 in 5 minutes on the same node (Origin) and interface index number (variable 1), and at the 3rd one, run an action. That action should issue a new custom event in the Netview enterprise using the snmptrap command.  That is the trap I would act on in whatever ruleset I'm using to do notification or forward to the TEC.

The reason for watching these, of course, is that the netmon polling cycle can easily miss an interface in the down state when it is going up and down repeatedly. And of course if it is for an unnumbered port that is not represented on the map, it would be the only indication of a problem.

Detroit

"Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

02/26/2004 03:58 PM