Re: [nv-l] "Down" router sub-interfaces show as "Added"

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] "Down" router sub-interfaces show as "Added"
From: "Bill Evans" <wvevans@epix.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:34:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:42:16 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
These are traps generated by NetView ("N" source symbol) identifying interfaces found during a demand poll of the router.  This may have been from the demand poll during discovery of the node, from a demand poll issued following a loadhosts or manual definition of  a router or from a demand poll issued during the daily configuration polling cycle.  They were added to the NetView Object Database and the trap notifies you of that action.

The interfaces were there in the router database all the time (as your network engineers stated) and whether the interfaces are down or up they were found in the Interface Table and possibly the Address Table on the router when queried by SNMP.

I don't remember what platform you are using but I suggest you re-read Chapter 6 of the NetView for Unix Administrators Guide or Chapter 8 of the NetView for Windows User's Guide as appropriate.  The information in this chapter isn't the best organized but it's all there somewhere in the chapter.  It was also covered in the NetView for Unix for Administrators course the last time I taught it.

Bill Evans