Re: [nv-l] historical events on the event browser

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] historical events on the event browser
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:54:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:15:09 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
What the boss wants and what he can have without writing his own code are two different things. But there may be alternatives. How about multiple event windows which show different things?

Events are time critical things. That's why NetView distinguishes being current ones and historical ones. Recent old events, are viewed with Events History.

But eventually all events will scroll off the display, acknowledged or not. The most you can see in Current Events is 999 (the default is 500, set in /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents), while Events History is limited by the size of the ovevent.log, which is fixed at 2MB. After that, old ones scroll off no matter what.

NetView for UNIX does not offer an event repository other than trapd.log. If that does not suffice for history, then you might want to look at storing events in an RDBMS.

As for which events show in the current events window, I would urge you to look at rulesets. You could write one to show only events of a specified severity which you can set yourself in trapd.conf with xnmtrap. You might be happy with having a couple of event browser windows open at once - one which shows everything and other which show only things passed by certain ruleset or which have filters applied. All these things are covered in the Admin Guide.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>

          Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          03/02/04 07:44 PM
          Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[nv-l] historical events on the event browser

Hi Folks,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
My Client (My Boss) wants to be able to achieve the following:

1- Have a display of Critical or Major events that will not go away or disappear from the event browser until they are cleared.
2- These events should always be on the top of the list and events of lesser severity could scroll at the bottom of the list and disappear from the browser as they come in.

Q1: Any suggestions?
Q2: How can I keep historical events on the browser, besides increasing the event history log size?

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"

GIF image