Re: [nv-l] trapd.conf and custom slot name

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd.conf and custom slot name
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:03:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:04:28 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You cannot alter the contents of a trap variable in a ruleset, nor any other way.

If you want to add a varbind or alter its contents, then basically you have to use a ruleset or a script run by ovactiond (from trapd.conf as a command for automatic action)  to issue a new trap of your own making with your additional or altered varbind in it, typically with the snmptrap command.  Then you send that to TEC or to the event console rather than the one you received.

By the way 58916867, Interface Down has 8 varbinds, not five.  The documentation, the Appendix to the Admin Guide,  was upgraded to reflect this in 7.1.4, but the trap itself has had more since 7.1.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Per Lütkemeyer" <pel@dmdata.dk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/11/2004 10:37 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] trapd.conf and custom slot name

Could anyone give an example of how I can set an varbind variable from an external script  ?

Maybe call an Inline command from a ruleset ?

When forwarding a internal trap like 58916867 (interface down) it only contains 5 varbinds, say you want to add another information to that trap.

Regards!

Per Lütkemeyer

DMdata a/s

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>