Re: [nv-l] send different events to tec

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] send different events to tec
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:31:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:53:15 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

We are still talking about NetView for Windows, right?
You should say so when you append so that everyone knows.  Don't count on us to remember.

There are multiple configuration files that you have to edit before you can use the NetView for Windows TEC Configurator (tecconfig.bat) to send events to TEC which are not already defined.

I suggest that you obtain the TEC Event Adapters Guide and read it, with special attention to the OpenView adapter.
The NetView for Windows TEC adapter is based on an earlier version of that.   The one thing that is really different is that the NetView version also provides for optional filtering by smartset membership.  But you still have to define all the events you will send first.

The TEC manual will explain the roles of the various files called conf, cds, oid, and err.
In \usr\ov\conf on your NetView for Windows box, you will see all these files with the prefix tecad_nv6k.

You have to edit them with Notepad BEFORE you can use the java tecconfig.bat to select which ones you want to send to TEC.  All the java configurator does is edit the conf file.  The actual events must first be defined in the oid and cds files.  The oid file tells the TEC adapter what events to watch for; the cds, explains in detail how to format them when he finds them.

You can, of course, also run  wpostemsg/postemsg  as an action from Trap Settings if that is what you prefer, but then you lose centralized control of things somewhat.    It's your choice.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

lucian.vanghele@bisnet.ro
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/18/2004 04:34 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] send different events to tec

hello list
I need to send some events to TEC and these events are not selectable in
"Configure TEC adapter" GUI. what method do you recommend? I'm thinking to
to run wpostemsg as action in trapdconfig but maybe is something else
around..
thanks
Lucian Vanghele