Re: [nv-l] Sun snmp daemon and netview

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Sun snmp daemon and netview
From: Michael Webb <mlwebb@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:04:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:23:57 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I have not read Jane’s document, but here are some suggestions for querying Sun machines.

First, I usually comment out the managers line in the snmpd.conf file (or modify it to add your NV machine to the list so that the NV machine can query the Sun machine).

Second, the Solaris agent has an added security feature in its SNMP agent. It will trim your available MIB if you get the community string wrong more than 3 times, which this type of discovery will happen when using communityNames.conf with multiple strings in it.

This can be avoided by adding “-f 0” to the end of the command line that starts snmpd in the init.snmpdx script. You can find the script in the /etc/init.d directory. After you have made the change, restart the agents as follows:

    /etc/init.d/init.dmi stop
    /etc/init.d/init.snmpdx stop
    /etc/init.d/init.snmpdx start
    /etc/init.d/init.dmi start